Banquet Sous Chef
Compensation: $48,520.00 - $81,710.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Hospitality - Food Services
SOUS CHEF JOB DESCRIPTION
Position overview: Lead the back of house kitchen operations through strong examples and clear communication of expectations and duties. Assist the chef to execute all food production and develop strict guidelines for menu consistency. Develop strong professional team bond with co-sous chefs. Ensure smooth kitchen function for all services. Create and maintain a clean and organized back of house kitchen operation. Work pro-actively to meet challenges. Must have a qualifying certificate in food protection issued by New York City D.O.H.M.H.
Staffing: Kitchen Staff is to include Steward, all Dishwashers/Porters, Prep Cooks and Line Cooks.
- Create and maintain a safe and positive work environment for all kitchen staff.
- Maintain strict attendance policy.
- Ensure that all staff follow appropriate food safety practices.
- Ensure that all staff are in proper uniform and are appropriately prepared for their shift.
- Ensure that all stations are clean and broken down properly after each shift.
- Minimize unemployment liability by clearly communicating and documenting any instance where company policy is broken.
- Document all TM incidents and issue disciplinary reports for record keeping.
- Understand the importance of pro-active leadership and coaching.
- Work with the Chef to ensure that the kitchen staff is properly trained to work the station or stations they are scheduled to work.
- Keep all staff accountable for maintaining re-occurring rotation and cleaning schedules.
- Ensure that all menu items are prepared to the chefs satisfaction, in a timely fashion.
- Follow through with strict oversight of menu output and consistency.
- Work to ensure all TM s are in place to meet demand of service.
- Communicate clearly if help is needed.
Kitchen Operations: To include main kitchen, dish pit, dry storage, all refrigeration.
- Seamlessly contribute to the documentation of daily logs and recaps.
- Evaluate and pro-actively work to improve operations as a unit.
Menu: Maintain a clear working knowledge of all menu items at all times, as well as the sources for all of the ingredients for all menu items.
- Work with Chef to implement all menus (Breakfast, Coffee Kiosk, All Day Menu, Dinner, Over Night, and Team Member Meals).
- Help Maintain an archive of new and past menu items and recipes.
Inventory, Ordering, Invoice Management:
- Ensure timely ordering of all products for all services.
- Maintain good vendor relations.
- Check all invoices for correct pricing and delivery, paying special attention to high cost items (protein, dairy etc) and submit for filing in an orderly fashion.
- Ensure restaurant is appropriately stocked to minimize off-site cash purchases.
- Coordinate monthly inventories tallying with co-sous.
Cleaning, Organization, Sanitation and Maintenance:
- Maintain all kitchen operations in accordance with New York City DOHMH standards.
- Manage food inventory in a clean and organized manner.
- Maintain a clean and clearly organized walk-in refrigerator and freezer.
- Perform daily check of all areas of kitchen to ensure properly functioning equipment and temperatures.
- Maintain a clean and well organized working environment for all kitchen staff.
- Ensure that all restaurant waste is disposed of properly, and all waste is kept contained in proper receptacles.
- Ensure that all kitchen equipment (all refrigeration, ovens, stove, salamander, grill, ice machine, mixer, dishwashers, slicer, can opener and blenders) is regularly maintained and safely functioning.
More detail about Soho Diner, please visit
Associated topics: chief chef, corporate, deli chef, dining chef, grill chef, head chef, pantry, salad chef, sushi, tavern
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...